The Southwest Holiday Fest is Southwest Detroit’s family – friendly, free holiday festival offering new and returning visitors fun winter-themed free activities. All are welcome to casually stroll the Bagley/Vernor Corridor between 16th and 24th streets from 3pm – 7pm on Saturday December 10, 2022. You can sip on hot chocolate or traditional Mexican Christmas fruit punch while you explore the neighborhood’s one-of-a-kind shops, restaurants, bars, and cultural institutions.
Each participating venue has something unique and exciting to offer. Attendees can:
- Enjoy a Detroit Symphony performance or a Puerto Rican trio along with Santa, in the Ford Resource Center (FREC) at the Mexicantown Mercado,
- Share roasted chestnuts with the Hubbard Richard Residents Association at the 20th Street Gazebo,
- Sip Mexican hot chocolate, and strike a piñata in the Mexicantown CDC Galeria’,
- Take in theatre performances at the Matrix Theatre,
- Enjoy holiday food and participate in a Mexican-Style Posada at Xochi’s Gift Shop,
- Check out a clothing swap and the wintery snacks at “We The People”, and
- Participate in face painting and cookie decorating at the Plaza del Sol building.
“Attending Southwest Holiday Fest should be on your to do list, during this holiday season,” said Kate Brennan, Matrix Theatre Company Interim Executive Director, and festival co-founder. “The atmosphere that permeates the festival is heart-warming and celebratory, and it really captures the joy of the season. This event is entirely driven by its sponsoring businesses and organizations, and we are all proud and excited to once again, show off our corner of the city to residents and visitors alike.”
All activities are free and open to the public – unless otherwise specified by individual locations. Participating businesses, organizations, and sponsors include Matrix Theatre Company, Mexicantown Community Development Corporation, Ford Resource and Engagement Center-Mexicantown Mercado, Xochi’s Gift Shop, We The People, Living Arts, Plaza del Sol, Detroit Symphony Orchestra, El Popo Supermarket, Los Galanes Restaurant, Mexicantown Restaurant, the Hubbard Richard Residents Association Southwest Detroit Business Association, The Hubbard Richard Mexicantown Mainstreet Designated Area and the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation.