The Michigan Science Center (Mi-Sci), in partnership with Detroit Wayne Integrated Health Network (DWIHN) and Youth United, is excited to announce an upcoming First Friday event, “Game On For Mental Health.” This innovative event, scheduled for Friday, December 1, from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., aims to explore the interplay between mental health and gaming.
As part of Mi-Sci’s popular First Friday Late Nights series, which extends museum hours until 8 p.m. on the First Friday of every month, this special event offers an engaging and educational experience for families, couples, and individuals. It’s a perfect opportunity for those unable to visit during regular hours to explore Mi-Sci’s dynamic exhibits and theater shows.
“There can be some positive benefits to gaming and mental health,” said Dr. Shama Faheem, DWIHN
Chief Medical Officer. “It can be used to unwind, develop complex problem-solving skills, and improve mood and concentration. Gamers just need to be mindful that, with all things, moderation is key. Set time limits, choose strategic games that make you think, and play with friends which will help with socialization.”
“Game On For Mental Health” will include a diverse array of activities, including:
- Mental Health Gaming Tournament: A friendly competition where participants can demonstrate their gaming prowess and promote mental health awareness.
- VR Gaming Experiences: Engage with state-of-the-art virtual and augmented reality games that emphasize mental health themes.
- #GameOnForMentalHealth Social Media Challenge: Share your high scores on social media for a chance to win exciting prizes.
- Art and Mental Health Workshops: Conducted by the Mi-Sci team and DWIHN Art Therapist,
these sessions invite attendees to express themselves creatively while focusing on mental wellbeing.
- Coffee Talk with Dr. Faheem: An informal session to discuss mental health and gaming with Dr.
- Youth United One-on-One Conversations: Engage in meaningful dialogues about mental health
The event sponsors invite everyone to join us for an evening of exploration, conversation, and fun. Connect with us on social media using #GameOnForMentalHealth to be a part of this unique event.
The event is included with a General Admission ticket and can be purchased at www.mi-sci.org. Mi-Sci is located at 5020 John R. Street in Midtown, Detroit and is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Tuesday through Sunday and until 8 p.m. on the first Friday of every month.